Saturday, November 22, 2014

Dr. Lucy E. Moten-1st A.A. Principle of Milner Training School for Teachers

Lucy Ellen Moten played a key role in the progress of 19th-century women.  An alumnae of Howard University, class of 1870, she continued her studies earning degrees with Salem Normal School in Massachusetts, Spencerian Business College and Howard University Medical School. Dr. Moten served as Principal of Miner Training School for Teachers, first a privately controlled institution for the preparation of Negro teachers in the District of Columbia. Anecdotally, Frederick Douglas, a member of the Miner board offered this position, to then a very young Lucy Moten, if she was willing to give up going to the theatre, playing cards and dancing. A progressive educator, she carefully screened individuals for the teaching profession with standards that placed a high premium on rigorous academic achievement and character.
She bequeathed $51,000 to Howard University to provide scholarships to students in the arts and sciences for travel and study-abroad opportunities.                                                     

2 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon,

    My name is Anthony Thompson and I am a teacher of History at FAMU DRS High School. I am currently conducting research on Lucy Moten. The original name of our school was in fact named after her. There is very little literature (that I can find) that leads to answers as to how she came from Washington D.C. to Tallahassee, Florida and started a school.

    please contact me if you'd like to help me with my research. anthony2.thompson@famu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if you got my email. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete